Wednesday, August 16, 2017

James Mattis on Therapy

Secretary of Defense James Mattis addressed the troops at Naval Base Kitsap, in Washington on August 9..

Many have posted this remark for its vulgar reference and its thinly veiled attack on the Pajama Boy. I bring it to you because it offers the Mattis theory of why people undergo psychoanalysis:

So you'll never regret, but you will have some of the best days of your life and some of the worst days of your life in the U.S. Navy, you know what I mean?  That says -- that means you're living.  That means you're living.  That means you're not some pussy sitting on the sidelines, you know what I mean, kind of sitting there saying, “Well, I should have done something with my life.”  Because of what you're doing now, you're not going to be laying on a shrink's couch when you're 45 years old, say “What the hell did I do with my life?” Why? Because you served others; you served something bigger than you.  

Someone  call the thought police....

6 comments:

Ignatius Acton Chesterton OCD said...

Tsk-tsk... someone's feelings are going to get hurt!

“Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea.” -- Samuel Johnson

When I was in my early 20s, I pursued Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. I didn't get in... I was bounced for a medical issue. There was nothing I could've done, save being dishonest on my entry paperwork. One of the greatest disappointments of my life. I wish I could've done it, for the very reason Mattis points out. So I had to find other pursuits to serve, and I did. But it was a real pursuit, and in my mind nothing will substitute for what I believed the USMC would've given me in having the opportunity to serve my country.

Ares Olympus said...

Service certainly, but there are many sorts.

My great great grandfather joined the army of Norway in the 1814 war with Sweden, and never fired a shot and got farm land afterward. My dad was in Korea, but at the end, never saw and action. It all sounded pretty boring although boot camp sounded challenging.

Now combat is flying drones and killing people at a distance or taking nudie photos of prisoners in Iraq.

Sam L. said...

There's still shooting going on, Ares.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam L. said...

JG's post sounds like spam to me.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.