Friday, August 11, 2017

Groping Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift is being hailed as a heroine for her frank testimony in a Denver courtroom yesterday. Swift brought the suit against a Denver DJ, David Mueller—no relation to Robert. Mueller had accused Swift of slandering him by accusing him of unwanted sexual groping. He sued her for having incited his radio station to fire him. Swift countersued and accused Mueller of deliberate groping.

As I say, she is being hailed as a heroine for having described what happened frankly.

For your edification, I quote some of the salient parts of the report. All are in Swift's words:

He stayed latched on to my bare ass cheek... I felt him grab onto my ass cheek underneath my skirt. The first couple of milliseconds I thought it must be a mistake, so I moved to the side very quickly so that his side would be removed from my ass cheek, but it didn't let go….

Rather than grabbing my ass outside of my clothing, he grabbed my ass underneath my clothing. He was busy grabbing my ass underneath my skirt, so he didn't grab it outside of my skirt....

 No, I am critical of your client sticking his hand under my skirt and grabbing my ass....
  
He did not touch my rib. He did not touch my arm. He did not touch my hand. He grabbed my bare ass....

He had a handful of my ass. It happened to me. I know it was him....

We would have to have other men in a meet-and-greet who had stuck their hand up my skirt and grabbed my ass cheek....

What is the point of sharing these lurid descriptions? They illustrate the problem with this sort of public testimony and  show why so many women avoid it. I am not saying that they are right or wrong to avoid testifying in sexual abuse trials, but that, once you have read this testimony, how easy will it be to get the images out of your mind?

8 comments:

Sam L. said...

I don't know what she looks like so I don't have an image in my mind, but just maybe she should reconsider what she wears so that her bare butt can't be grabbed. My question is, did she slug him? If not, WHY not?

Ignatius Acton Chesterton OCD said...

What do you want her to say?

"Well, counselor, to be specific, this man contracted his phalanges around the skin organ around my gluteus maximus"?

It's ridiculous. The guy should be sanctioned severely, whether he's grabbing Taylor Swift or Wanda Mae.

Women in such situations should give the guy a knuckle sandwich. What's he gonna do? Fight back? And what reason does a woman have to give an improvisational knuckle sandwich? It's not in her nature. The dude did it. Kick his ass. This doesn't have to go to a court. Shame him by whacking him.

Taylor Swift sure ain't ugly, so she's a target for asshole men to get her attention. So she sued the guy. Good for her. They guy probably would've hired a plaintiff's attorney if she retaliated. Wow... what a man.

There are plenty of women who aren't too famous in this world, and have to out up with this kind of crap. Catcalls are one thing, ass-grabbing is another.

It's just wrong. And that's what I can't get out of my mind.

Stuart Schneiderman said...

You missed the point....

Ignatius Acton Chesterton OCD said...

I just re-read the post twice. I guess I'm just thick-headed and don't get your point. It happens from time to time.

If you're saying that Swift is being treated as a heroine for frankly saying what is so, and that runs counter to our nutty PC culture, I get it. I assumed you were saying Swift was being un-ladylike, which was the source of my objection. Perhaps my critical reading skills are failing me.

Whatever the case, a knuckle sandwich was appropriate.

Stuart Schneiderman said...

neither is correct....

Ignatius Acton Chesterton OCD said...

Okay, hold me in suspense no longer. Would you like to simplify this for me? You've piqued my curiosity.

Stuart Schneiderman said...

The feminist world was cheering Swift for being a heroine, but what she did, and what most women do not want to do, was to invite people to picture her with some man's hand up her skirt grabbing her bare ass. The image is undignified and most people prefer to have more control over the image they present to the world. For that reason some rape victims prefer not to testify at trial. In order to do so they will be inviting the world to picture them in an extremely undignified posture... and that pertains even when they were violated.

Ignatius Acton Chesterton OCD said...

Clear. You are saying that women instinctively don't want to feed others' carnal imagination, lest they be violated further. Thanks for resolving that. I misunderstood you.