Thursday, July 7, 2011

On Alan Dershowitz, Casey Anthony, and Me

Yesterday I offered a few remarks about the Casey Anthony trial. I have not been following the trial, and have no opinion about whether or not she did what she was accused of doing.

Besides, everyone has an opinion on the matter. I didn’t see much advantage to offering mine, as uninformed as it would be.

Instead I offered my perspective on the American criminal justice system. I felt that those who are assuming that the system is designed to discover the truth of what happened have misunderstood it.

My opinions are worth what they are worth. They are not coming to you from a credentialed law professor or from someone who is qualified to opine on matters judicial.

When Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz offers an opinion on the workings of the criminal justice system, he brings with him some very serious credentials and qualifications.

When it comes to trial law, Dershowitz knows whereof he speaks.

So, I was heartened to read Dershowitz on the Casey Anthony trial in the Wall Street Journal this morning. Mostly because his argument corresponds in most particulars to mine, especially as regards my topic, the American way of truth and justice.

I am relieved to think that I did not mislead anyone on this matter. Now, as you read Dershowitz, you can say that you read it here first.

No comments: