Monday, October 26, 2009

Don't Sell Yourself. Buy Them: Part 5

Longtime readers of this blog know that I advise people seeking new jobs to be sure to express interest in and show extensive knowledge of the company they are interviewing. Here is a link to my last post on the topic. It contains links to the previous posts. Link here.

Today I am returning to the topic to link an article by Jon Jacobs from Efinancial careers. His title is clear: "Our Take: It's Not About You." Link here

Jacobs argues cogently that your interest in and passion for your new employer is of paramount importance. In a cautionary tale he cites the example of the woman who had just been hired by Gillette. Upon meeting her new manager she said: "I never thought I'd end up spending most of my career hawking deodorant."

Jacobs adds: "The job offer was withdrawn."

No comments: